Keep Plastics Out of Our Water
For years industry and individuals have ignored the flow of plastics into our oceans and waterways. Over time we have come to understand how damaging this is to our wildlife and ecosystems. Globally, if this practice goes unchanged it is projected that by 2050 plastics in our oceans will outweigh fish.
Canada needs a national strategy to find real solutions to plastics in our waters.
On November 2, 2017, MP Gord Johns put forward a motion, M-151, A National Strategy to Combat Plastic Pollution. The motion to the House of Commons aims to:
- Create a permanent, dedicated, and annual funding for community led clean-up projects
- Reduce consumer and industrial use of ‘single-use’ plastics
- Create a plan to clean-up derelict fishing gear
- Promote education and outreach campaigns on the root causes and negative environmental effects of plastic pollution
Gord began to work with local environmental champions to take on the challenge of marine debris and ocean plastics after the Hanjin Marine Debris Spill in November of 2016. After 35 shipping containers broke apart and washed up onto the shores of the west coast of Vancouver Island, volunteers worked tirelessly to contain the spill. Despite promises of federal funding to compensate them for their costs, funding never arrived. Canada needs a strategy that assists organizations helping to preserve their coastal communities and gets to the root of the plastic problem.
Gord highlighted the urgent need for a National Strategy when he introduced M-151 to the House of Commons.
See Gord in the House of Commons fighting for our coasts and waters:
- June 11, 2018 in Question Period
- June 7, 2018 in Question Period
- June 5, 2018 in Question Period
- May 24, 2018 Statement
- May 23, 2018 in Question Period
- April 25, 2018 in Question Period
- April 23, 2018 Introducing a Petition
- Feb. 28, 2018 Debate on plastic bag spill
- Feb. 12, 2018 Debate on marine debris
- Nov. 22, 2017 in Question Period
- Nov. 2, 2017 in Question Period
- Sept. 29, 2017 Debate on C-55
- Sept. 27, 2017 in Question Period
- June 7, 2017 in Question Period
Want more information?
Please sign and share the petition
Please download a paper copy of the petition, share it with your friends and family, and send it back (postage free) to Gord Johns to introduce in the House of Commons.
Gord Johns in the media on ocean plastics
- 610 CKTB Radio - June 13, 2018
- Saanich News - June 8, 2018
- Global News - June 7, 2018
- Global News Radio - June 7, 2018
- CBC News - June 7, 2018
- Nanaimo News - June 5, 2018
- Chek 6 News - May 7, 2018
- Globe and Mail Op Ed
- Globe and Mail special news article
- Chek 6 News - April 21, 2018
- Comox Valley Record - April 20, 2018
- Watershed Sentinel - March 29, 2018